Monday 19 October 2009

The Little Black Book (map project)

Following today's research crit, I have thought more and more about my idea, and I've started asking myself what am I trying to achieve with my map? I really like the fact that I have unexpectedly managed to connect myself to so many powerful, important and famous people, so I thought I should carry on in that direction. After all, there is nothing interesting in connecting myself to thousands of students in England through my other student friends. It's much more fascinating to see how many other influential people from all over the world are in my network.
I have also discussed my problem with presenting this information as a diagram with the class, and people have picked up on the fact that there is something very personal and almost gossipy about this project. So that lead to the idea of creating a Little Black Book of Connections. I have created a prototype, and right now it's a little book with an alphabet on the side, which enables me to look up a particular person by their name and then trace their connection to me step by step.
For instance: I want to look up how I'm connected to Roman Abramovich (a Russian billionaire and the owner of the Chelsea football team). In my book, under his name, it says that he is the fiance of Daria Zhukova, a Russian fashion designer. I look her up next, and she turns out to be a friend of a famous Russian producer - Maxim Fadeev. So I turn to letter "F" and I see that Fadeev once sold a song to Sergei Maksimau, a Belorussian singer. So then I look up "Maksimau" and it says that he is a friend of Denis Ivanenko, who is one of MY very close friends. And that's it - MY connection to Abramovich! (see photoes)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © thoughts & ideas
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com